THE DESERT SOUTHWEST
ARIZONA; AN INTERESTING ALLURE
THE DESERT ROSE
THE GRAND CANYON
CANYON DE CHELLY (entrance)
This canyon has been settled for more than 2000 years. The Anasazi civilization
lived there around 1200 AD. Later, the great Navajo Nation made it their
home and has since occupied the area for over 300 years. These societies
left their mark on the canyon walls for all mankind to witness.
WHITE HOUSE RUINS OF CANYON DE CHELLY
MISSION SAINT XAVIER DEL BAC
(white dove of the desert)
The mission is approximately 20 miles from Tucson, Arizona. This was just one in a string
of missions built by Catholic missionaries in their early presence in the area.
Originally constructed in 1692 by Father Eusebio Kino, it was rebuilt in 1783
after being destroyed by Apaches. During construction on one of the two towers of the church,
it was reported that an Indian laborer fell into the tower and died. His body was never recovered.
The Indians were very superstitious people and for this reason the tower was left unfinished.
presented by: EDDIE TWO HAWKS February 20, 2011